Lead Game Designer AAA Console Games Studio London Ref 2494
As a Lead Game Designer, you will create, design, and deliver a unified game experience, while communicating the game vision throughout the studio, ensuring alignment across all disciplines. In conjunction with the Creative Director, you will establish the game’s vision, define quality targets, and verify the quality targets of others. The ideal candidate will also be detail-oriented with outstanding verbal and presenting abilities.
- Document work with the GDD and Wiki pages.
- The primary means of communication will be verbal; ensuring team members understand the vision and design and have the resources they require to perform their duties.
- You will provide the studio with regular updates on the areas of the game you are responsible for.
- Keeping in close communication with the Creative Director, you will regularly and effectively communicate with any external partners or publishers.
- You will explain your decision-making process and listen to other disciplines or Designers, iterating on their feedback.
- Managing stakeholder and external relationships, by presenting the creative work done by the team, as well as negotiating changes and feature requests as required.
- From live appearances to pre-recorded interviews to forum engagement, you will serve both as an evangelist and representative to the press and communities.
- Managing and coaching Senior and Regular Game Designers.
- Participating in peer-reviews will be a regular part of your job.
- We will regularly communicate our progress in meeting quality, scope, and game vision objectives.
- In some cases, you will function as the Creative Director's deputy.
- Your role is to define and execute feature optimizations and tuning plans, demonstrating a thorough understanding of metrics and development restrictions.
- Focus group sessions will be conducted by you, and you will generate reports that you will deliver to the product team and incorporate relevant feedback into the product design.
- Work with the Creative Director to give your accurate estimates for work as well as track work in management software.
- As a team leader, you will convey to the developers the impacts of changes to the game design.
- Providing input to Production during development on project schedules to prioritize tasks for the developers responsible for feature sets, in alignment with the product vision.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Embodied a Lead role in two AAA current-gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC titles that have a multiplayer component, worked on from start to finish; preferably first-person or third-person shooters.
- Experience in many areas of design, including feedback, controls, balance, narrative, game-feel, retention, usability, onboarding, social mechanics, and player motivation.
- Playing and creating video games with a passion.
- Solve problems independently and laterally without close supervision.
- Initiative experience, including the running of a group-oriented plan group; human administration, coaching.
- Prior experience authoring high-quality, extensive design documentation, such as wiki-based design documentation, flow charts, and spreadsheets.
- In-depth understanding of industry trends related to genres, gameplay, development models, and financial models.
- Familiarity with gameplay trends, development, financial models, and genres.
- Experience with creating prototypes of gameplay mechanics in UE4, Unity, or similar tools.
- A working knowledge of source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.).
- Experience participating in leadership roles and working collaboratively with other disciplines.
Prior experience as the vision bearer for one or more major project aspects, expressing that vision to others and gaining buy-in from your team and other stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Products, as well as other business software, such as Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, Adobe Photoshop, or similar.
- A deep understanding of the system, systemic design, emergent gameplay, and the place of procedural content generation.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- F2P/Games as a Service experience and using telemetry to inform design decisions and content decisions.
- Championing a product, including giving presentations to the media and at conferences and events.
- Parsing market research results, and acting on them, e.g., focus groups, qualitative and quantitative surveys.
- 3DSMax, Maya, or any other professional 3D modelling software.
- High level of math proficiency. Such as probability, statistics, and balancing skills.
- Scripting capability or programming knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Marketing, Entertainment, or another technical field.
Please e-mail your CV as a Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 2494.
We are an equal opps company, value diversity and do not discriminate. We are GDPR compliant.